Thursday 22 August 2013

1 Year On



Today marks officially one year from my first foot op. As my ops didn’t go to plan and smooth as we hoped I am going to run through what happened and weigh up the pros and cons one year on.
The original plan was to have both feet done at the same time but since I have FA and the heart problems to go with it, but my surgeon soon said no to that as it would be to stressful on my body to be under for that long. We came up with a new plan to have one foot done at a time, have one foot done then go home and have two weeks at home and then go back and have the other foot done. (But that never happened either

 The op went fine it was when they came to stitches me up the skin was not stretchy enough to cover the wound, so they had to get rid of the skin, anyway to cut a long story short 3 Hospital later and a lot of Hospital hours racked up.  I finally got free and then had to wait about 5 months till the second op, as they had to make a new plan because they didn’t want me going through all that again. (If you want to know what I went through then check out this video I made explaining all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0V1NLGX98s)

Pros and Cons

Let’s start with the cons the bad stuff.
Well my right foot is now a lot heavier than it used to be due to all the metal and new added skin they had put in/on.  As for my left foot it’s now a few inches shorter due to them has to remove more bone, so there would be enough skin to stitch me after op number 2. The only other bad this is after having multiple operations done I have been left very scared in both feet and my thigh.

Time for the pros the good stuff.
Both feet are flat and straighter and just look like normal feet when I have socks on. My feet fit nicely into trainers now; they never did before as my heels would not touch the floor. I used to get a lot of pain and like a burning feeling in the balls of my feet and now thanks to the ops I am pain free. Having straighter and flat feet make it easier to transfer. The best bit saved for last my right foot is now a Hobbit's foot which I am very proud of it. Thanks to the skin they took from my thigh to place on my foot the hair still grows.

If you would ask me if I could go back a year knowing full well of what I went through, and then asking me if would do it all again my reply every time would be yes. Here’s why because life is just better when you two happy feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment