Tuesday 13 May 2014

13/05/2014 Second Talk



Today I did my second ever talk, this time in front of child health nursing students. Things started out tad crazy as we got told it was 12 – 1, and it was actually 11 – 12 lack of communication or a mix up somewhere. 

We got things sorted out, and we did our talk 

Here is what I said

 Hello my name is Justin Scrimaglia, and this is my mum and full time carer Loren.  

And I have Friedreich's Ataxia (FA for short) Just out of interest is there anyone here that has heard of Friedreich's Ataxia? (There were about 30 students in there, and it was 0 again, none of them had heard of FA)  

FA is a debilitating, life-shortening, degenerative neuro-muscular disorder, and as things stand there is No Cure.
 I was diagnosed with FA at the age of 15, and this is the story to how we got there. 

I was born in Bournemouth and as a baby we moved to Wales, the majority of my family were living there. I knew from a young age that I was different to all the other kids, even my older brother and younger sister.

For example of how different I was 

So I had just started secondary school and my older brother was a fantastic runner smashing records, and my younger sister who wasn’t even at the school yet was a fantastic gymnast, and where we lived wasn’t a big place so everybody knew everybody. So with me coming up the sports teachers were like’ a brother and sister like that he’s the middle child he’s got big shoes to fill’. And with me being very clumsy and very much uncoordinated I was really bad at sports even though I tried my best. I remember this one time we had to run cross country and like most running I would come in last and on the route back to the sports gym we had to run up a bit of a hill, well I wasn’t running I was walking up it, and at the top outside the gym stood were all 4 of the sports teachers just staring at me and saying ‘well your nothing like your brother or sister are you’. I just looked back and said I don’t want to be like them I’m me, but it really hurt me that did, and as I was changing from my sports clothes into my school uniform I even had a cry. I remember going to my first parents evening with my mum and we sat down to the table with the P.E Teacher, (the main sports teacher). We sat there and he started talking about my brother but my mum stopped him and said ‘I’m not here to talk about his brother I’m here to talk about Justin’ and then he just looked at me, and said ‘what can I say he tries’

And then moved back to Bournemouth when I was a teenager

Just before we moved back, I guess things were starting to get noticeable, as a few of the kids in my old school in Wales had started to call me penguin because I waddled like a penguin when I walked.

Nan and step Granddad moved back to Bournemouth about a year before we did, and we had other family who lived down here, so it made sense that we would return to where our family was.

I hadn’t seen my Nan in over a year, and it was her that took my mum aside and said ‘you need to take that boy to see a doctor, something’s not right with him’, and that’s what we did.

We started of f by just seeing normal GP and then getting referred to other higher doctors, slowly making our way up the ladder. Along the way I had to undergo many test, from a load of blood test, to countless reflex tests, and even an MIR scan.

This one doctor we saw at the Community Centre, in Moordown tried to make out that I was putting it all on, and that I was tensing when he was testing my reflexes. He suggested that I should take up ballet dancing, to which my mum replied with “and what should we get him a pink tutu”

Shortly after we got the appointment to see the Neurologist

In the start we first saw, him and he’s team for an introduction, and then we got a second appointment and they thought I had Cerebral Palsy, but the Neurologist was not happy with that and he looked at me that day, and said I promise you we will find out what’s with you.

And then we got a 3rd appointment

 September 11th 2002 I was diagnosed with Friedreich's Ataxia, I had not long just turned 15.

I remember walking into that room, and the Neurologist was behind his desk, and there were other doctors in the room too who were part of his team, so we got to know each other and then he began to talk, and they said ‘we have the results back we now know what it is, you have Friedreich's Ataxia’. I was like ‘wow what the bloody hell is this’, he then started going into it with all the doctor terms and using academic language, which I then I stopped him and said can you explain it in a way that I can understand please, and he looked at me and said ‘I won’t lie to you but by the time your 18 you’re going to be in a wheelchair’.

 That news broke my heart I began to cry I got up and walked out, in the car I was in bits crying and sobbing, my mum was there giving the old ‘everything going to  be okay’ speech, but I was having none of it. As far as I felt my life had ended that day,

I counted to see the Neurologist and he’s team once every 6 months, but I held biggest grudge against the man not for telling me I had FA but for the way he told me. Looking back on it now I guess he was just doing his job, and I guess he thought I could handle the direct route but I wasn’t like other 15 year old lads, I wasn’t mature enough or ready to have that kind of truth bomb dropped on me at that age.

It took about 13/14 months to get a full diagnosis.

FA all so brings other symptoms, like scoliosis and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Which I have both (scoliosis is curving of the spine, I have 2 curves in my spine, top goes to the right and the bottom curves to the left) and (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is enlargement of the heart)


For scoliosis the only why they can look at your spine, is back by x-ray and I use to have to go to Southampton ever 3 – 6 months to have my spine looked at. One day when I was there to get x-rayed, and at this time I was still kind of walking, barely and very wobbly.

I remember getting called in and one of the x-ray people shouted at me “they said if I don’t keep still, we are going to be here all day “to which I replied I’m trying too.

As a child I went back and forth from different Hospitals, and seeing many different doctors. I was having scans done on my chest, I forget the name of machine but it’s the same as pregnancy scan machine. I had a few of them, and this thing kept showing up on the scan that got them a bit worried, they thought I had a hole in my heart.

I got booked in to Southampton to potentially have key hole surgery done to close the hole, that was the plan any. They put me to sleep and put a camera down my throat, turns out it wasn’t a hole, I have a flap, I’m human and little bit fish like Aquaman.

It doesn’t cause me any problems, it has caused some problems when I have been anaesthetised because they can’t control my heart rate, oh and I can’t go scuba diving.

(I ended things with)

Any questions??? And i pluged my blog.

We got a little bit in there too from mums perspective, of a career.  See my trouble is I turn it into the Justin show (When I get talking I find it hard to stop, I need to learn to control myself) and forget that they also want to hear mums side of things too. Today was a little bit rushed though, because of the mix up with the times.

We got there in the end, and our talk went down good, well they laughed at my funny parts, and we received some questions too.  At the end we received a big round of applause, which is always nice. They must have liked it and found it helpful, unless they were just being nice.

I have only done two talks now, but I get so nervous and big butterflies in my belly, and then when I start talking and start receiving reactions from my audience, the more I start to feel at ease and confident.

I like doing talks, and I love the feeling that i get, after i do a talk, I feel all positive and warm inside like I have just helped people to learn something new, by sharing my stories and experiences with them.

Yes I know technically that is what I have just done, they way I look at it in those two talks I have tort 60+ people all about Friedreich's Ataxia, and I most definitely want to do more talks I’ve got the bug for it now.

I Don't Wanna Stop till the aliens in the universe know about Friedreich's Ataxia.

No comments:

Post a Comment