Saturday 28 June 2014

The Fault in Our Stars



Last night I went to the cinema to see The Fault in Our Stars

Now before I continue, please note that I have not read the book, but I plan to in the very near future.

The film is about a teenage girl who has cancer, and I think I loved this film so much because I could relate to it on so many levels, okay I don’t have cancer but I was diagnosed with a debilitating, life-shortening, degenerative neuro-muscular disorder called Friedreich’s Ataxia at 15. (So in short term, yeah I am a dying man but it’s okay we are all going to die one day, it’s the one and only thing we are guaranteed in this) sorry if that’s a bit full on, just being honest, truth-shooting as a friend called me one time. 

This film is sad yes, but it’s also powerful, inspirational, very moving and positive. It touched upon real life events and captured them really well, again I could relate, because I myself have been in a few of those situations on which the film touched upon.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my big blockbuster films as much as the next guy. Like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, but there is just something I really love with films like this maybe it is the fact that I can relate to them, I don’t know the just feeling more real (Like they touch your heart, if that make sense)

I think they got everything right with this film, the direction and cinematography was fantastic, not a single shot felt odd or out of place and every shot matched the scene and felt real. The acting was amazing too. It made the two characters feel real and alive, their performances were so heartfelt and definitely Oscar worthy. They probably won’t get recognised for it, which is a shame because most will put this down as just another teenage love story... but it’s so much more.

This movie is one of the best romantic comedies that have ever touched the face of the earth. I encourage EVERYONE to go see this movie no matter what age you are. I am a 26 year old (straight guy, not that it matters) but even my eyes teared up a lot, and one part of the film broke me into a lot of tears.  Bring a packet of tissues as well, you’ll need it

I give this film, a well deserved
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment