Monday 2 June 2014

Living for the Moment



This is so true

Last night I went to a gig with a friend, not out of the blue for me.  What was out of the blue was how it came around.

As you all know, I reefer myself as a bit of a master planer 

Here’s what went down 

I woke up Sunday morning and when I got on facebook I saw one of my friends had posted a video of a band, and he asked if anyone wanted join in?

So I jumped in with, “Where is it, man?? And what’s the policy on wheelchair people??

He then repaid with “it’s at joiners in Southampton.

tbh one would hope their policy is "everyone get the fuck in here and rock the fuck out" but the venue is a proper ballache of a place generally as its kinda small in places. i shall pm you sir

So we had a private message chat 

As we were doing that, a friend of his popped up with a comment and said “there is a girl who regularly goes to punk rock shows there in a wheelchair

In the spare of the moment, I was like that’s good enough for I’m in.

I know a few weeks ago I said how I usually turn things down like this, because I like to make a plan.
Yesterday I was fuck it; my rule book got thrown out the window and was winging it. I had a shower and got myself ready (I even had odd socks on, I know right how fucking Punk Rock I am) and then my friend came to pick me up. Now I have never been out in this friend’s car, usually I worry at shit like this oh will I get in his car, will my wheelchair fit all that shit, not last night, I was winging it baby living the dream...

 Anyway everything went smooth and fine, and we rolled out like Transformers on our way to Southampton

On the way up, my friend goes to me, so have you done any research on the venue or bands or anything? And I go No! The Justin rule book has gone out the window, tonight I am winging it and I am going by the word of your friend on facebook. 

And he goes Yes! Best way to be, well tonight you is either going to love it, or fucking hate it.

Spoiler Alert 
I fucking loved it

The first of the bands that come on were called Fingermen and I really liked them, really good band and their bass player was shit Hot! at playing the bass, like wow good. proper groovy,  they were a bit of a mixed bag of what they played, which was cool. 

Yeah they played this dubstep kind of track, and just before the song the bass player took a ring out of his pocket and put it on, and when he kicked it in shit went crazy. I wish I had recorded it but I was so mind blown at what I was seeing, I was like some IRONMAN shit. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9CZrhwUSM8 <--- that is a link to Figermen

Then the 2nd band hit the stage Melt-Banana (my friend was really excited to see them) they are is a Japanese noise rock band that is known for playing extremely fast grindcore and noise music mixed with experimental, electronica and pop-based song structures. The band has released ten albums and toured worldwide extensively. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqC8LSoBws <--- here's some crazy Melt- Banana for you

Now they are not really my cup of tea, but something beautiful happened when they were on stage. I had a dance (well a wheelchair dance) I just got lost in the music and started moving my body along with the music. I probably looked a bit like Forrest Gump when he dances with Elvis Presley (but remember I was just moving around in my wheelchair) so really I probably looked liked like that part in the film, where he’s in that chair just after that school principal has finished banging his mother. Hahaha but I didn’t care what I looked like I felt Alive. :-)

To wrap things up, I have learnt it is still good to plan ahead but wheelchair people can still do last minute thing and still have a fucking good time. Just Wing It  

I’d like to give a shout out (to my friend) my brother from another mother - Chris George 

Thank you for a wicked night man, live music it’s the best nothing beats it.
As I said last night that was round 2, I look forward to round 3. :-)

1 comment:

  1. bro. so pleased you enjoyed it. ha! mate, if you looked like forest gump dancing to elvis, I looked like a beached whale trying to get back into the sea. which is all awesome! zero fucks given when all of the fun is being had.
    stay awesome
    x

    ReplyDelete