Sunday 5 April 2015

Inside I'm Dancing



Last week I kept thinking of the film inside I’m dancing and I really wanted to watch it again but I couldn’t find it (I think I lent it to someone and never got it back)
Never mind I bought it again on DVD and watched it the other night.  

It’s a fantastic film

 

 When the kinetic Rory moves into his room in the Carrigmore Residential Home for the Disabled, his effect on the home is immediate. Most telling is his friendship with Michael, a young man with cerebral palsy and nearly unintelligible speech. Somehow, Rory understands Michael, and encourages him to experience life outside the confines of home.

There is a scene in the film where Rory has a run in with the police and as soon as the word wheelchair is let out, the look on the police officers face is priceless.

I know this by experience

Right story time

For this we need to go back to my 21st Birthday, I had just had my party and myself, my sister and a few friends decide the night was still young and we were going to find night club.  After putting my sister and other friends in a taxi me and my other friend took my mobility scooters, see he would drive and would hang off the back in my wheelchair surfing the pavements.  

Just before we got to the night club we went past this gang of teenagers, and i mean they were looking for trouble as they were starting on all the people up in front of us and then as we got closer to them one of them started shouting at me going "what you looking at, do you want some" i replied with don't want nothing mate.

I don't know maybe he saw me as an easy target, he started chasing us up the pavement he then grabbed the back of my wheelchair and yanked it from underneath me of course i was still hanging on to the back of the scooter so i was being pulled in both directions. I have nowhere to go so i ended up face down on the pavement, next thing i know i get a knee to the face and then the teenager starts threatening me saying that he is going to stab me up.

Next a meat wagon pulls up and loads of police jump out and take the teenager to one side, a police officer comes up to me and asks if i'm okay and if i need a hand up i look at him and go yeah i'm fine but i don't know where my wheelchair is. I shit you not his mouth hit the pavement with a look like Ohhh shit, the teenager was trying to make out that we were friends. I had no idea who he was i didn't press any charges against him i just wanted to get on and enjoy my night, thinking back on it now i know that was the wrong choice but i like to look at it this way and think if it wasn't me that night it could've been someone else and it could of been a whole lot worse for them.

This film will always hold a special place in my heart, because the first time i watched it was a few years after i was diagnosed with FA (Friedreich's Ataxia) i wasn't yet a wheelchair user so gave me a little glimpse into the world of wheelchair users/disabled life which was soon to be my future.

I became a full time wheelchair user just after i turned 19 and i am now 27 and in my time i have definely done some inside i'm dancing just like the DVD case says "you'll laugh, you'll cry you'll see the world through different eyes" anyway i'll leave you with this,
If you have never seen this film, then i've got 2 words for you WATCH IT.

In some parts of the world it's called  inside i'm dancing other parts it's called
Rory O'Shea was here.

p.s
If you are religious then Happy Easter and if you are not then Happy chocolate egg day have a nice day :-) peace, love and hugs always

No comments:

Post a Comment