Tuesday 11 November 2014

4th and Final Taster Session



Sunday the 9th of November

4th and final taster session but ladies and gentlemen this ride is not over, it has only just begun The Dorset Destroyers are here to Stay.

On Sunday I got there a little late, and everyone was chaired up and ready to go which was cool I was more than happy to sit out for a bit as I had just got over a cold or man flu as it’s called.
I had some time to watch, and you can learn a lot from just watching (okay I meant that in a non creepy way) 
Here’s a little video I knocked up with some of the footage I shot. 

Then John subbed me in at 2:30 he jumped out of his chair, I jumped in it and geared up and joined the game.

None of my team mates or people over at The Dorset Destroyers, who reads this, is going to want to hear this but I’m going to say it anyway. 

As I sat on court Sunday in that wheelchair rugby chair I came very close to throwing in the towel and calling it a day. 

Why? 

It’s simple because call it, self doubt call it whatever you like, I call it being real. As I sat there I thought I’m not cut out for this game, I don’t have the speed, the balance or the chair skills or the coordination for the ball skills, I have pretty much nothing to offer this game. I guess the only thing I have in bucket loads is heart, I did do some good blocking during the game and even the coach gave me a tap on the back and said good blocking, guess I’m doing one thing right.

After the game 


The Steve Bernard Foundation  gave us our very 1st Wheelchair Rugby Chair for the very 1st Wheelchair Rugby Club in Dorset.

Thanks to Tony and to every fundraiser who has helped the Foundation. We really appreciate this. You'll never know how much.

Thanks for all your hard work

Then we all headed up stairs to the bar for a drink and to discuss the future of the club. Paul the guy from GBWR http://gbwr.org.uk/ said there were only 2 people in the room who meet the requirements to play the traditional game, and the 2 were me and Charlie. I was a little bit shocked at this news to be honest, I was always the kid who got picked last for sports stuff and I’ve spent most of my life trying to meet the requirements for things. My mind was blown so now I have to stick at it and improve and maybe one you’ll see me on the GBWR team.




Am I sure you can imagine Wheelchair Rugby is not cheap £ 2,600 each, so if you are a millionaire and you are reading this and would like to help in my quest to improve at Wheelchair Rugby then please get in touch, my email is justinscrimaglia@hotmail.com

Worth a shot right, oh well back to plan b trying to win that lottery.

The Dorset Destroyers we do really need your help Rugby Wheelchairs is what we need, so pretty please click the link and give whatever you can every little helps




Also if you are free Thursday the 27th of November then come on down to this...




No comments:

Post a Comment