Friday 13 February 2015

Achievement unlocked First Ever Therapeutic Communications in Adult Nursing done

If someone had told me a few years ago that one day i would be sharing my stories and experiences with students to help them learn, i would have probably replied with with something like you're crazy i could never do something like that... Never say never because that is exactly what my life is now 

Here comes the cheesiness

                                                         (Told you cheesiness haha...)


Today I was doing Level I Therapeutic Communications in Adult Nursing Unit aka role playing, we had to simulate handover with them anyone who has experienced some Hospital stay will be familiar with the handover.

Going in I was a bag of mixed emotions nervous and excited, rolled into the lab that they had set up which looked just like a Hospital ward and I waited for my students or Adult Nurses.

I was doing 2 sessions of role playing today, and I am not going to give the students names but I much preferred session 1 over session 2 

So here was the layout each group was 3 students to 1 service user 

Student 1: Assessor (carries out your assessment)


Student 2: Mentor (to support the assessor and offer occasional prompts if necessary)


Student 3: Less experienced student (to observe and learn, may take notes, ask questions)

In my first session I only had 2 Assessor and Mentor and they were both lovely young ladies so naturally we got on like a house on fire and half way through the handover I had to break character because they were unsure to whether I have had surgery or was waiting for surgery (I must be a good actor like Tom Cruise damn it I’m in the wrong job haha)

I told them I was in Hospital today to have right foot reconstructive surgery, I kept to my same story twice.

It was a pleasure and it went so smooth my first session, session 2 wasn’t bad but this time I had 3 students 

Student 1: Assessor
Was fine 

Student 2: Mentor
Spent most of the time looking at her feet (from my point of view)

Student 3
Just looked bored

Today was all the fun and we had so giggles too, I do love doing this and I am not sure why I get so nervous I guess it’s just a natural human reaction when going into the unknown. 

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone and that is so true, I always tend to find when I give talks as I get into it I feel like weight is taken of my shoulders and I become at ease and more relaxed like a flowing rap star on stage.

I just hope I helped the students out today and not talked a load of old rubbish.

I feel like this is my way of giving back I always come away with a sense of achievement and hope I helped the students in some small way with their future careers and I hope to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment